My Orthodontic Consultation is Tomorrow… What should I ask my Orthodontist?
Let’s face it, most people don’t have smiles that are naturally perfect. Many people suffer from crooked, misaligned, or discolored teeth. Luckily, we have good news for those who wish to improve the appearance of their smile. There’s no better way to get started than by scheduling a consultation with Dr. Getman at Getman Orthodontics in Germantown, TN. During your initial consultation, Dr. Getman will address any questions or concerns you may have, and outline a treatment plan that will best suit your specific case. The staff at Getman Orthodontics wants to ensure that you feel prepared for your consultation and in charge of your orthodontic treatment decisions. Keep these questions in mind when you come in for your consultation:
- If my goal is to have a straighter and healthier smile, what kinds of treatment options do I have? Could any of the alternatives to traditional metal braces be right for me? Asking this is important because it helps Dr. Getman get an idea of your goals, and helps you discern which treatment options will work to help you accomplish your goals. At Getman Orthodontics, many of our patients have been opting for alternative treatments such as Invisalign. Your consultation is the perfect time to ask the doctor which options would be the best for your case.
- What kind of preparation is needed to get braces? How many visits will it take? It is always a good idea to ask a question like this to ensure that you’re comfortable with undergoing orthodontic treatment and that it fits conveniently into your schedule.
- Should I expect any pain while I have braces? This is a very common concern for many of our patients, and one that you should bring up if it is worrying you. A lot of people who could easily benefit from orthodontic treatment shy away from the idea due to the fear of it being extremely painful. However, the Getman Orthodontics team will explain exactly what to expect, and can reassure you that although you may experience some discomfort in the beginning, it will subside.
- What determines how long I have to wear braces? This is another very common concern. Dr. Getman says that the length of treatment will vary from patient to patient. During your consultation, we can evaluate your teeth and jaw alignment to determine the correct course and an estimated length of treatment. Many people believe that once they begin treatment, a dramatic difference will occur overnight. Orthodontics can be a timely process, so don’t be disappointed if you don’t notice a huge change in a short amount of time. You’ll achieve your dream smile soon!
- How will braces affect my lifestyle; the foods I can eat; and the activities I can do? Unfortunately, it’s impossible to avoid not having to make changes to your lifestyle and dietary habits, once you begin treatment. You will likely find that you just need to make a few changes to your daily routine to have a more successful and faster end result with your orthodontic treatment. We will discuss any of these changes during your initial consultation so that you’ll be prepared by the time your treatment with braces begins.
Other important questions you may want to ask include:
- Who will be involved in the orthodontic treatment that I receive?
- How long will a typical adjustment appointment last?
- What is the “average” cost of orthodontic treatment and what should you expect to pay? (Make sure you are clear about what your insurance covers, who contacts the insurance company for pre-authorization, who files the insurance forms, and what flexibility there is to pay the remaining amount not covered!)
Your initial orthodontic consultation is just the first step towards that perfect smile that awaits you. Don't be afraid to ask questions! The answers will help you to better understand the entire process and prepare you to do your part to ensure successful treatment. To schedule a consultation with Getman Orthodontics, please call 901-843-2483 or visit our orthodontic office in Germantown, TN.